I’m just starting out as a freelancer, so I’m working on building a portfolio. One of my friends is trying to make a go of becoming a musician. Since we’re both starting out, I thought I would be nice and offer to make him some track images to go with his songs.
He told me the title and I made a really cool, unique cover that I thought looked great! So did he… at first.
Client: That looks amazing! Thank you so much!
The next day:
Client: Hey do you think you would be able to change the font?
Me: Sure! What type of font are you thinking?
Client: Well I don’t know…
Me: Well here’s some fonts I think would look good, let me know what you think.
I sent a few different fonts over. They really liked one of them. We went with it.
Two days later:
Client: Hey so I don’t want to be a pain but what do you think of doing something more minimal. I really like that idea.
Me: …Sure. Like what?
Client: I’m not sure.
Mind you, it wasn’t hard work. But still annoying.
Me: Well you figure out what style you want and I’ll come up with something.
Client: I really like this. With a simple font.
I make the image, they want the font red. Duly changed. Then they want the font simpler. Mind you, we’ve gone minimalist. A vector image and song title are all we have.
Client: They ask for “something more linear, like Times New Roman, but not.
So what they ended up with, went from a really awesome, unique cover, to one vector image and a Times New Roman-esque font.
Probably not the worst thing to happen, but I’ve spent a week trying to get them nailed down to an idea, and when he did it was hot garbage.