Bryce Bladon discusses an awards gala specifically for freelancers, how much designers and developers earn as freelancers, and a few ways designers and devs can earn even more.
- The first annual Freelancers Unite Awards in Canada
- Co-Op founder Adam Roach’s reasons for the awards
- Matthew Brown, The Founder of Bonsai, a freelance invoice and contracting app
- The big takeaways from the Bonsai’s freelance rate explorer:
- Developers earn 30% more than designers.
- The hourly rates of designers (especially graphic designers) remain sticky at under $60 an hour at all geographies and experience levels.
- Developers quickly begin increasing their hourly rates after gaining 3 years of experience
- Designers tend to increase their hourly rates at a slower pace.
- The biggest increase in hourly rates happens when freelancers reach 3–5 years of experience
- Ways to increase your rate, such as:
- Proving the value of your services
- Knowing and understanding your ideal client
- Scheduling rate increases
- Changing the philosophy that drives your prices
Questions? Episode ideas?