Sign in to follow this  
PirateCaptain

Payday 2 modding guide

PirateCaptain

Prerequisites

In order to mod Payday 2, you need to set up some tools.

Tools needed

Payday 2 Bundle Tool

This tool allows you to extract game files.

Payday Mod Tool V1.14

This tool allows you to create and apply mods for Payday 2.

Photoshop

For Photoshop you will need NVIDIA Texture Tools for opening .dds files.

available for download here Please login or register to see this link.

This will be used to edit texture files.

OR (instead of Photoshop) you can use

GIMP

For GIMP you will need GIMP-dds plugin.

This will be used to edit texture files.

GoldWave

This will be used to edit audio files.

OR (instead of GoldWave) you can use

Audacity

This will be used to edit audio files.

Sound Converter V1.14

This tool allows you to convert sound files to be used by the game.

How to install and use Payday 2 Bundle Tool

2Ic6rAn7i-8

If you haven't already downloaded the tool, you need to download the Payday 2 Bundle Tool.

You will be using this tool to extract game files.

Step 1

After downloading the Payday 2 Bundle Tool, you need to extract it into your "assets" folder.

This folder is usually located at "c:Program Files (x86)SteamSteamAppscommonPAYDAY 2assets".

Your assets folder should now contain 5 new files: "extensions.txt", "Hash64.dll", "paths.txt", "PD2Bundle.exe", and "README.txt".

Please login or register to see this link.

Step 2

Now, you want to open up Command Prompt in your "assets" folder.

To do that, hold shift and right click inside the folder (Make sure not click on any files, click on the white space on the side). Then, press "Open command window here".

Command prompt should come up.

Step 3

In the command prompt window, you want to type the following: "PD2Bundle.exe -update -extract_all" and press Enter. This will update the tool and then extract all game files. This process will take time, depending on your hard drive speed.

Step 4

After the tool has finished extracting files, you should have a new folder in your assets folder, called "extract". This folder contains extracted game files. We will be using them later on to mod the game.

How to install and use Payday Mod Tool

If you haven't already downloaded the tool, you need to download the Payday Mod Tool. Download "pdmod_tool_v1.13.zip" from here[bitbucket.org], we will be using this tool to create and apply mods to the game.

How to install

Step 1

After downloading the Payday 2 Bundle Tool, you need to extract it into a new folder.

Your new folder should now contain 6 files: "DieselBundle.dll", "Hash64.dll", "Ionic.Zip.Reduced.dll", "Newtonsoft.Json.dll", "PDBundleModPatcher.exe", and "README.txt".

Step 2

Now, you want to run the tool. Double click on "PDBundleModPatcher.exe" and you should be presented with a warning, press OK.

Step 3

Once you're in the tool, you want to go to the "Options/About" tab, press "Browse..." and locate your "assets" folder.

This folder is usually located at "c:Program Files (x86)SteamSteamAppscommonPAYDAY 2assets".

Then press OK.

Step 4

After you press OK, you should see another error. Press OK. And now you should be done.

The tool is installed and configured.

How to apply mods

To apply mods, you need to go to "Apply Mod" tab. In this tab, press "Open Mod" and select a ".pdmod" that you want to install.

The tool will tell you if selected mod was successfully loaded.

When the mod is loaded, it's name, author, and description will be shown.

If the description states that you need to "Rewrite all_x files", you need to check the "Rewrite all_ bundle files" box. Some mods will not work properly without this box checked.

Afterwards, press "Apply Mod" At this point, the tool will back up your game files, so you can restore back to the original files. After it's done backing up files, it will begin to patch your game with the mod.

Some mods take longer to patch that others,

When it's done, it will say "Done". At this point, you can either load up another mod to patch or simply close the Mod Tool.

How to create mods

To create mods, you need to go to "Create Mod" tab. This is where you will be making your mods.

Let's establish some basics to this tab. To start off, at the bottom,

"Mod Name" is where you will be putting your mod's name.

"Mod Author" is where you will be putting your name.

"Description" is where you will be putting a brief description about your mod.

Now, at the top, "Bundle File Name" is where you will be putting a replacement file's path. (Example further down). "Replacement File" is where you will be putting your modded file. "JPMod Style Name" is for a different game file extractor. For this guide, we will NOT be checking that box. Uncheck it if it's checked.

Now, I will explain how a mod is made. (Please note, next section of this guide will explain how to set up your modding workspace. This is just an explanation of how to use the tool.) I have filled everything out with my sample mod. First, I filled out the mod information on bottom: name, author, and description.

Then, at the top, I have written a path to game's file in "Bundle File Name". I found the game's file path by looking at the file location in the "extract" folder. For example, this sample mod file is located at "c:Program Files (x86)SteamSteamAppscommonPAYDAY2assetsextractguis exturespd2menu_backdropd_baselayer.texture", but I don't need anything before "extract" folder.

After removing everything before "extract" folder, I am left with "guis exturespd2menu_backdropd_baselayer.texture". Now, the game uses "/" instead of "" in file names. So change those from "" to "/" and you should be left with "guis/textures/pd2/menu_backdrop/bd_baselayer.texture".

Don't forget to have the extracted file name at the end.

Then, I have to locate my "Replacement File".

To do so, press "Browse..." to select your modded file.

After you found it, you can press "Add Replacement to Mod", this will add your modded file to the mod.

Please note: Each file will have a different "Bundle File Name" and a different "Replacement File".

You will have to add new "Replacement File" for each file you want to mod.

Also, if you make a mistake, you can always undo your last file addition by pressing "Undo Last Addition".

This is how my sample mod looks:

Before I finish my mod, in the description, I will write "Rewrite all_x files".

The reason why I'm writing this, is to ensure that my mod files will get patched in. In the game, some files are located only inside all_x bundles, other times they're located only outside all_x bundles, but most commonly they exist both outside and inside all_x bundles.

To ensure that my mod will affect all game files, I will tell the user to patch all_x bundles.

And finally, I will press "Create Mod" and select the file location for my mod to be saved.

After it's saved, I will apply the mod and test it in game.

This is how this mod looks in game.

Of course, this is just a simple re-texture, but other amazing things can be done as well. They are explained in detail further in this guide.

Modding workspace

This section of the guide will explain how to properly set up and use your modding workspace.

LO54cQ84kvI

This section will build off of the previous section. In the previous section of this guide, we have established basic modding tools.

Step 1

In the folder with your pdmod tool, create a new folder called "mods".

This will be your location for all the mods you create.

Step 2

To create a new mod, you have to make a new folder in your "mods" directory. Name it after your mod.

Step 3

Now, we have to prepare you mod folder.

This should be done every time you make a mod.

In your mod folder, create a txt file called "destinations.txt", This txt file will hold all payday 2 file replacement locations.

It is important to keep this file updated.

Also, create a folder called "mod", This folder will contain all your replacement files.

Step 4

Assuming that you have extracted game files in the previous section, go to the extracted files.

Now, look for files that you want to mod. Take a note of their location, write it down in the "destinations.txt" file, make sure to replace with /. Now, copy files into "mod" folder.

For example, I located "extractguis exturespd2menu_backdropd_baselayer.texture" file in my extract folder.

I noted it's location in my "destinations.txt" and I copied it to my "mod" folder, as shown in the screenshot:

Step 5

With files in your "mod" folder, you can edit them to your liking.

Try to keep file names as close as possible to the original file names, This will make files easier to identify.

With this file, I will open it in photoshop, edit it, and then save it as the same file.

You can view a guide on how to edit textures in "How to mod textures" section of this guide.

Step 6

When you have edited all the files you wanted to mod, you can begin making the mod itself.

Follow the instructions outlined in the "How to install and use Payday Mod Tool" section of this guide.

This is how my mod looks:

Step 7

After you are done with making your mod, you can save it in the directory of your mod. In this example, it would be "custom planning background" folder.

And that is it! This will be your modding workspace, everything should be organized and in place.

A few words of advice that I can give: make sure to keep track of modded files in "destinations.txt" file (this makes it easier to create a new mod based off of another one), don't move files from "extract" folder (it's an easy mistake to make, I have made a mistake like this several times), make sure you are keeping the source files (that is your "mod" folder, the reason to keep this folder is to be able to make changes to the mod, you can give it to another person and they will be able to understand what files were changed and how).

How to mod textures

ujgjQrhmzzk

Requirements:

Photoshop

CS2 is free and avaliable here Please login or register to see this link.

NVIDIA Texture Tools (for opening .dds files)

available at Please login or register to see this link.

Or if you prefer, GIMP has the required .dds plugins in order to modify the files.

GIMP

GIMP-dds

Step 1

Open up your 'extract' folder, and find the texture you wish to modify.

Depending on the type of texture you wish to modify, it will be in different locations.

Most textures are located in "units" folder, and most interface icons are located in "guis/textures" folder.

A list of resources and their folder locations can be found in the "Modding Resources" part of this guide.

Step 2

For this guide, we will be modifying a mask texture, alienware to be exact.

This will be found in the "units" folder.

Now, since Alienware is a base game mask, it will be in the "payday2" folder. In the "payday2" folder, we will go into "masks", as we're looking for mask textures. In "masks", we will go into "msk_alienware".

You should be at this location "unitspayday2masksmsk_alienware".

Step 3

Once in this folder, you will see several files named "msk_alienware", and two files named "alienware_df" and "alienware_nm".

Were looking at modding "alienware_df", DF stands for Diffused Texture, this is the actual texture for the model. Other file, NM stands for Normal Map, this gives models a bit more detail and reflections.

With textures, you will always be looking at modifying "_df" files.

We need to change the extension of this file from ".texture" to ".dds".

If you can't see the extension, follow this guide[windows.microsoft.com] to enable them.

Step 4

Once you renamed it to .dds, you will be able to open it with Photoshop or GIMP using the .dds plugins for each software.

Step 5

Using your chosen software, begin to change the texture any way you want, just make sure not to change the size of the picture.

As you can see below. A simple tag has been sprayed over the mask.

Step 6

To save your texture, you will want to go to "File -> Save As" and for format select "D3D/DDS (*.DDS; *.DDS)". Make sure that "Alpha Channels" is selected.

When you press "Save" another window will pop-up.

In this new window, make sure to select "DXT3 ARGB 8 bpp | explicit alpha". This will keep the alpha layer, the game uses alpha layer for shininess, if alpha is ♥♥♥♥ed up, the entire texture will be shiny.

Step 7

And finally, all you have to do is rename your ".dds" files back into ".texture" and you can begin making them into a mod. Follow the instruction outlined in the "How to install and use Payday Mod Tool" section of this guide.

Source files for this mod is included in the LBG siterip

How to mod sounds

This section of the guide will explain how to make a sound mod.

Liq7bbXz2yo

Before we start, you need to download the Sound Converter.

available here: Please login or register to see this link.

We will be using this tool to encode and decode game sound files. You will also need sound editing software.

I will be using GoldWave[www.goldwave.com] in this guide, but you can use any sound editing software you would like.

Step 1

Open up your "extract" folder and navigate to "soundbanksstreamed".

This folder will contain a variety of other folders.

Each folder contains sounds from the game, they are organized by folder names. In here, you are looking for a sound file that you want to modify.

A detailed list of sounds and their locations are documented here Please login or register to see this link.

Step 2

Now, depending on what kind of sound you want to modify, you will have to go into it's folder and find the file you want. This process involves a lot of files and can be tedious to find the correct sound files.

A list of documented sounds can be found here Please login or register to see this link.

If you are looking for sounds that are not documented on the modding wiki, don't hesitate and add in new information to the article.

For this guide, we will consider that you are looking for a non-documented music sound file.

Go into the "music" folder. You will see files that have numbers with type STREAM.

We will need to convert those files to be able to play them. Copy the contents of the Sound Converter tool that you downloaded earlier into the folder.

Step 3

Then, you need to open up Command Prompt in that folder.

To do that, hold shift and right click inside the folder (Make sure not click on any files, click on the white space on the side). Then, press "Open command window here". Command prompt should come up.

Step 4

In the command prompt window, you want to type in the following "wwise_ima_adpcm.exe -d_all". This will decode all sound files in the folder and you will be able to listen to them.

Step 5

After the tool is done, you will have new files in your folder with the "wav" extension. You can play those files with any media player. You will have to go through all files until you find the sound that you want to modify. For this guide, the sound we will be modifying is "668133142.stream".

Step 6

I will open up the "668133142.wav" in my sound editor, GoldWave.

Now, you want to edit the sound file any way you like, but remember, the sound file must be less than or equal in playback length.

Step 7

When you edited your sound file, you want to save it, please note the original file's attributes as well. You want to match them.

If the original file is mono, you will save as mono.

If the original file is stereo, you will save as stereo.

But, when you save, make sure that you use PCM signed 16 bit.

The tool uses wav as a playback format, so you want to keep with it.

Step 8

After you saved your file, you need to encode it so the game can play it.

With your Sound Converter tool, you want to type in the following "wwise_ima_adpcm.exe -e *input file* *output file*". For this guide it's the following "wwise_ima_adpcm.exe -e 668133142.wav 668133142.stream".

Step 9

When you have all your sound files encoded, you can create a new mod for them.

Follow the instruction outlined in the "How to install and use Payday Mod Tool" section of this guide.

Source files for this mod is included in the LBG siterip

Last updated: Patch 24.2

Characters : This folder contains base game characters : units/payday2/characters/

Characters : This folder contains characters introduced in Armored Transport dlc : units/pd2_dlc1/characters/

Equipment : This folder contains base game equipment : units/payday2/equipment/

Fonts : This folder contains all game fonts in a form of textures : fonts/

Interface Textures : This folder contains all game interface textures : guis/textures/

Masks : This folder contains base game masks : units/payday2/masks/

Masks : This folder contains masks introduced in Armored Transport dlc : units/pd2_dlc1/masks/

Mask Materials : This folder contains base game mask materials : units/payday2/matcaps/

Mask Materials : This folder contains base game mask materials : units/payday2/matcaps/

Mask Materials : This folder contains mask materials introduced in Armored Transport dlc : units/pd2_dlc1/matcaps/

Mask Patterns : This folder contains base game mask patterns : units/payday2/masks/shared_textures/patterns/

Mask Patterns : This folder contains mask patterns introduced in Armored Transport dlc : units/pd2_dlc1/masks/patterns/

Movies : This folder contains movies that play in the background during planning phases : movies/

Paintings : Files that start with "com_int_gallery_wall_painting" are Framing Frame Loot Paintings : units/payday2/props/shared_textures/

Pickup-able objects : This folder contains base game objects that can be picked up : units/payday2/pickups/

Pickup-able objects : This folder contains pickup-able objects introduced in Armored Transport dlc : units/pd2_dlc1/pickups/

Vehicles : This folder contains base game vehicles : units/payday2/vehicles/

Vehicles : This folder contains vehicles introduced in Armored Transport dlc : units/pd2_dlc1/vehicles/

Weapons : This folder contains base game weapons : units/payday2/weapons/

Weapons : This folder contains weapons introduced in Armored Transport dlc : units/pd2_dlc1/weapons/

Sounds : This folder contains all game sounds : soundbanks/streamed/

Folder Name Info Path

Architecture This folder contains textures for buildings and some sections of maps. units/payday2/architecture

Brushes This folder contains 4 folders, 3 of them beginning with 'flowers' and the other being 'shoe_marks'. units/payday2/brushes

Characters This folder contains the characters for the base game. Textures are located in 'shared_textures'. units/payday2/characters

Cubemaps This folder contains the textures for the game's reflections. units/payday2/cubemaps

Decals This folder contains the models for papers seen in the Bank Heist. The textures appear to be stored somewhere else. units/payday2/decals

Equipment This folder contains the textures for objects you can interact with, like ammo bags or cameras. units/payday2/equipment

Glass This folder contains the textures for glass. units/payday2/glass

Masks This folder contains the textures for masks, along with patterns in 'shared_textures/patterns'. units/payday2/masks

Matcaps This folder contains the materials for masks. units/payday2/matcaps

Mockup Occluder cubemaps units/payday2/mockup

Nature This folder contains the textures for things like foilage and trees. units/payday2/nature

Pickups This folder contains the textures for the bags in the game. units/payday2/pickups

Props This folder contains the textures for objects such as tables and stacks of money. units/payday2/props

Textures This folder contains the texture used in the backgrounds of levels, along with textures for shattered glass. units/payday2/textures

Vegetation This folder contains the textures for plants and flowers. units/payday2/vegetation

Vehicles This texture contains the textures for vehicles. units/payday2/vehicles

Patch Filelog

Frequently Asked Questions

Question: Will this be updated?

Answer: check the git

Credits to the scholars behind this

• Upvote 1