Rella

Safe place to bitch or brag about your day. for instance, I deal with incompetent people every day, and even though I am the youngest person on my team i am the most adult. some days I hate my coworkers.

the feels.

• Upvote 1

PirateCaptain

at least you don't get the same question over and over all day long :flyhigh:

• Upvote 2

Rella

lol

• Upvote 1

Stradivarix

You would be surprised Cap, I do get the same question every day. "Hey I forgot my badge, can you let me in?" "Can you hurry, I am going to be late." "Hey dumb ass you are making me late" "dammit now I am late" "Its all your fault." Maybe if you wouldn't forget your badge you wouldn't be fucking late! Now on to my adventure for the day. Apparently people get upset when you hassle them about not following procedures and they are creating an explosive hazard while you aren't wearing earplugs. This guy was welding next TO A PROPANE TANK! and he got pissed when i told him to stop and his response was ill email your boss cause you are not following PPE and not wearing earplugs. I have 60% hearing and if i wear earplugs it takes it down to 5% i couldn't hear a gun go off if a 50cal was shot next to my head, let alone my radio if there is an emergency. so fuck my earplugs stop being a dumb ass and welding next to a propane tank. So this guy gets his supervisor and his supervisor goes off on me for not having earplugs so i reiterated the point of WELDING NEXT TO A FUCKING PROPANE TANK! and not following the hot work procedures. thick skulls are hard to penetrate so i guess the moral of the story is, wear your earplugs.

• Upvote 3

Mattias Nilsson

You would be surprised Cap, I do get the same question every day. "Hey I forgot my badge, can you let me in?" "Can you hurry, I am going to be late." "Hey dumb ass you are making me late" "dammit now I am late" "Its all your fault." Maybe if you wouldn't forget your badge you wouldn't be fucking late! Now on to my adventure for the day. Apparently people get upset when you hassle them about not following procedures and they are creating an explosive hazard while you aren't wearing earplugs. This guy was welding next TO A PROPANE TANK! and he got pissed when i told him to stop and his response was ill email your boss cause you are not following PPE and not wearing earplugs. I have 60% hearing and if i wear earplugs it takes it down to 5% i couldn't hear a gun go off if a 50cal was shot next to my head, let alone my radio if there is an emergency. so fuck my earplugs stop being a dumb ass and welding next to a propane tank. So this guy gets his supervisor and his supervisor goes off on me for not having earplugs so i reiterated the point of WELDING NEXT TO A FUCKING PROPANE TANK! and not following the hot work procedures. thick skulls are hard to penetrate so i guess the moral of the story is, wear your earplugs.

Moral of the story is... Leave the dipshit to blow himself up, WHILE you wear your earplugs. Wouldn't want to hear a stupid person exploding. Safety first!

Edited by Mattias Nilsson
  • Upvote 3

Stradivarix

Moral of the story is... Leave the dipshit to blow himself up, WHILE you wear your earplugs. Wouldn't want to hear a stupid person exploding. Safety first!

He was only about 1000 feet from my office with numerous explosive hazards and enough shit to put a building size hole in the ground. he was in a casting building and i didnt want to be rained on with molten aluminum

Mattias Nilsson

He was only about 1000 feet from my office with numerous explosive hazards and enough shit to put a building size hole in the ground. he was in a casting building and i didnt want to be rained on with molten aluminum

Mate, trust me, your earplugs will keep you safe. But I guess you could wear safety goggles too, just to be sure.

• Upvote 1

Stradivarix

Mate, trust me, your earplugs will keep you safe. But I guess you could wear safety goggles too, just to be sure.

lol, i guess

irving

Maybe his skull is thick enough that even a building-sized explosion wouldn't dent it :(

Here's some fun from my time as a web developer. Before that I was a tailor, and I have some horror stories from then too, but those can wait while I remember the best/worst ones.

A: One of my clients (friend of a friend's dad, back in the UK) keeps contacting me for quotes to update his site so he can expand his business, then forgetting to respond whenever I tell him how much. Recently he contacted me telling me there was a problem with his site because his PC crashed, and he couldn't view images anymore. It took a long time to a) understand what his problem was - he said an 'x' was displaying where there wasn't one before - b) get him to understand that the images were still on the site, and viewable from all over the world, and c) what a browser is...

:skull:

B: My last main contract before I started my current job(s) decided they wanted to save money by cutting my hours from 40/week to 20 a month, and they asked me to train up a guy who can't really program to replace me. So far they've had emergencies every month but one, including losing an entire, profitable site, because they didn't swap over a CC, and lost the backups I sent them before the changeover.

:skull:

C: That same company dropped my hours to 20/week previously, so I ended up taking a 40/week telecommuting job with a company doing compliance for multinationals. The lead dev was a nice guy, but any time I needed to find something out from him I had to call him, and he loved to talk. My longest call with him was a little under 4 hours. We didn't use any online group meeting software, instead we had at least one group telephone call a week, where nothing got done for about an hour.

The last straw came when they told us we had to install 'asset tracking software' on our machines. A quick look at the software told me that as well as asset management, it also contained remote viewing of all employees screens. I asked if this was true, and was told it wasn't, repeatedly. A (long) chat with the lead dev let me know I was being lied to - they had already fired one guy after snooping on him. That day I wrote some powershell scripts to make it look like I was coding, fired them up, and started looking for a new job. Got some contract work to tide me over, and then the company from B told me they were interested in having me come back full time, because their only other dev was leaving.

I found out from a friend that they were desperate, so I managed to squeeze a 100% pay increase out of them. Given that they decided to try and manage running 200+ sites without a developer earlier this year, I don't feel too bad about it :)  When I left the compliance company I sent the CTO an email telling him I didn't think it was cool that he was spying on us, and lying about it. I didn't get any response aside from a message from their procurement guy telling me how to return their laptop. Do not miss one single second of that job, ha.

• Upvote 1

Rella

Strad, didnt you tell me and Tri you were a substitute teacher at one point..? Or am I just tripping out again..

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.