Baddog-11

BLT Auto-Update Function

BLT Auto-Update Function | No more normal PPR   37 members have voted

1. 1. Use BLT Auto update function

2. 2. Stop working on Normal PPR Version

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

10 posts in this topic

Hello Crew,

I wanted to ask what you would think about the idea that we use BLT's auto update function for PPR ?
(Not sure if i had already made a topic about it or if we just talked about it in chat)

And no we wouldn't use this for all 3 Versions of PPR (freeloader , Donor , Premium)

It would only be for Freeloaders because else we would give out the Donor and Premium versions for free.

But it still would work for Donors and Premiums they would just Download a downgraded Version of their Trainer if they would use the function.

Something they don't have to, they could just use BLT's Update Notification to know that a new update got released and that they can get it on the forum.

I know that we normally give out the newest Versions to Premiums and Donors first before releasing the Public Version and we can still do it this way.

Just see the Auto-Update function as a little Help for the Freeloaders to make things easier for them and as a late remind for all Premiums and Donors that still use an older Version at the Point that the Freeloader version got released.

And also this way we could bring the users things like the "Menu Fix" faster with much less trouble and with like 90% less posts of "OMFG nothing is working what to do?"

~~~

Also after writing so much about the BLT Version
Am I the only one who thinks that its just a waste to still Support the normal Version of PPR ?
I mean what exactly are the benefits of using the non-BLT Version ? It Supports like 99% of the other Mods you find on the internet the only 1% is Hoxhud and you can use this with BLT:CSE

Also the non-BLT version is highly instabile and Crashs really often if the Computer can even handle it at all.

You are also limited to how many Persistent and post-require Scripts you can use in the PD2Hook.yml before the Trainer just stops loading at all, you don't have this problem with BLT.

Stopping the Support of the non-BLT Version would also mean that we only had to work on 3 PPR Versions instead of 6 and i think this would make the life of some of us here easier.

~~~

Moved this Topic from the Moderators Cave to a public place because no one saw it there and also because i want to see what the users think about those ideas.

That's why i also added a poll for both to this thread.

But i know no matter what the result of the poll is going to be the Admins still have the last word in this.

Just so you know, the trainer comes with an announcement feature built in, it doesn't start an automatic download, but it does announce when there's a new version, the number that's used to compare both in the trainer and on the external website though were never updated, hence the reason there has been no popups for a while, and works on both types, not just BLT.  Plus, even though they're relatively mute, it won't impact the download numbers on the site if BLT automatically downloads it, but the download numbers are always a sign of bragging rights.

21 hours ago, Davy Jones said:

Just so you know, the trainer comes with an announcement feature built in, it doesn't start an automatic download, but it does announce when there's a new version, the number that's used to compare both in the trainer and on the external website though were never updated, hence the reason there has been no popups for a while, and works on both types, not just BLT.  Plus, even though they're relatively mute, it won't impact the download numbers on the site if BLT automatically downloads it, but the download numbers are always a sign of bragging rights.

I hope I am not going to sound angry,harsh,bad or whatever, I don't want to harm anyone.
English is just not my primary language and it could be that I choose the wrong words or that I get misunderstand due to bad grammar.
I want to keep this on a friendly discussion base.

Okay,first let me say that I find it funny how fast you responded here after I made this post public before in the moderator Area no one had even seen this topic after a whole week.
Even the Captain told me in the chat that he had missed that.
That makes me thinking if I am the only one who checks out this forum completely every day.
I mean you just have to press the little "unread posts" button on the main page and it would have shown you the thread, again and again, every day till you would finally read it.

And I know that PPR has this Announcement Script it's there since the very beginning of PPR you don't have to tell me that.
But like you said it never really got used.
The same goes for the online update function for the translation files its also there since the first version of PPR but no one is using it.
Whenever PPR gets updated and I make a new translation file I contact Jazzman and Captain I give them my file and ask them to use that system,to upload my file but that never happens. And I will bring up that topic again and again whenever PPR gets updated till it finally gets used.

You all have my Honor and my Respect because everyone here is doing a great job and everyone has this awesome coding skills while I can't even get a simple spoof-name-menu to work.I wish I would have such skills.

It's just sad to see that PPR could be so much more if all those features even the smallest one like the announcement system or the language update system would be used like the creator of those functions thought they are going to be used.
I don't know who created those functions if it was Simplity Jazzman or Baldwin but that doesn't matter. I am pretty sure all of them have put a lot of time and effort to create those functions in the first place and they don't get used.

If I had those coding skills I would try to combine the Announcement System and the translation update system to create a system to online update the whole trainer so that we wouldn't need the BLT auto update function.
But in the end, this function also wouldn't be used so that it may be better to use the BLT update function this way a third-party would be responsible for this.
For example, I could just set up a BLT account, I am pretty sure I wouldn't have a problem with just taking the newest PPR-freeloader version update the version number in the mod.txt and upload it there.It's so easy everyone could do it but I am not just doing it instead I am asking here first if it is a good idea , if it would be fine to do it.

Puh that post got longer than I expected but I just had all that stuff on my mind and I felt like I have to write it done.

Again, everyone, I hope you don't see this post in a bad way.
Thanks for reading and have a great day.

With best regards
lupey

2 hours ago, Baddog-11 said:

Okay,first let me say that I find it funny how fast you responded here after I made this post public before in the moderator Area no one had even seen this topic after a whole week.
Even the Captain told me in the chat that he had missed that.
That makes me thinking if I am the only one who checks out this forum completely every day.
I mean you just have to press the little "unread posts" button on the main page and it would have shown you the thread, again and again, every day till you would finally read it.

And I know that PPR has this Announcement Script it's there since the very beginning of PPR you don't have to tell me that.
But like you said it never really got used.

I had a chat with you in chat about a few things you had brought up, as I even remember discussing the very similar situation about using BLT's auto-update in the past, and I read every post that has ever been on the site that I am able (which basically means was not deleted before my time), and I can physically record the view count being zero on MANY posts.
I did not say that it "never really got used", I said it was not updated, and it had not been updated only recently within the v1.#.#'s, which totals at MAXIMUM 8 update numbers, most of which were optional updates that didn't fix or change a whole lot because they were minor changes to Donors and Premiums, or was simply because one version was behind on something and had to be boosted a few numbers, and so on if memory serves me right.

This is also only version v1.1, v1, the FIRST iteration with a 0.1 update.  While I cannot comment on the other bits you brought up, this is v1 of Reborn, this has more features and functionality than some projects with near infinite funding and near infinite workers that get to a 3rd or 4th iteration would have.  While updating automatically may be nice, it reduces the amount of control on the system (basically meaning anyone who is provably terrorizing users with the trainer will now be forever able to do so), and also isn't exactly a very high demand thing... when the alternative is clicking one button, opening, dragging and dropping (More effort's required in pooping).

Auto-updating also would make Pirate Perfection simply a download website, and then users would never be seen again, why would they need to return?  The one thing they initially came for will now infinitely be given to them.  Last time I was told, this was the Pirate Perfection Community, I don't want to be the downer, but if the primary reason most people are here is for the downloading of things... who would be here if they no longer needed to get the download?  Even cheesing people onto the forum to manually get the updates is better than having at maximum 20 visitors daily.

Similar as to what you said, this is not a direct negation of anything you've brought up, but these are my observations.

That's your opinion and I respect that there is nothing wrong with it.
I personally would rater have only like 20 visitors per day where I then would know those are the core members of the community instead of 1000 visitors per day that are only lurking around.

You are saying that the download & installation of PPR is really that easy and in fact, it really is that easy but the amount of posts in the Support thread says something else.
With the auto-update system, we would get rid of all those lurkers and everyone that has installation/update problems.
The amount of posts in the Support thread should become less.
And if really all those users come here only for the downloads and would stop coming because of the auto-update system then it's their problem, they are the ones not knowing what they are gonna miss here.
All the other mods/downloads we offer, Services that we and other users offer, the giveaways you find here and all the other stuff this Community is offering.
All this would then only be for the real Members.
And this is just my opinion on this topic.

Bumping 3 Months old Thread !

I am not giving up on this even if the votes are

1. Use BLT Auto update function
Yes. 28
No. 1

2. Stop working on Normal PPR Version
Yes. 14
No. 15

I am still hoping for some final words from Staff.

Trainer isn't updated that frequent for auto update functionality. Adding it might cause more problems than solve them

Though I have nothing against if one will implement such functionality, trainer is open source and you can clearly see and edit all included scripts

1 hour ago, baldwin said:

Trainer isn't updated that frequent for auto update functionality. Adding it might cause more problems than solve them

Though I have nothing against if one will implement such functionality, trainer is open source and you can clearly see and edit all included scripts

Ahh Thanks Baldwin for an answer :D

Yes, I know that trainer doesn't get updated that often but I thought it could be a nice little extra and a good way to provide users "Quick-fixes" for when an updated breaks something etc.
I will try and see if problems occur and if yes we can easily just stop using it.
Also, I am trying to find out if it is possible to use the auto-update system to replace only specific files so that Donor/Premiums wouldn't loose their extra stuff when using that function.

3 hours ago, Davy Jones said:

Riddle me this:
What is BLT's stance on uploading a 100% cheating utility to their domain?
It's the one key pivot point.

Thanks, Davy I didn't know that before -.-

I have read trough the BLT Documents many times and never found something about Cheats (Please login or register to see this link. )

But now after many clicks, I found the new Page for "PaydayMods" (Please login or register to see this link. )
and there he wrote, "Administration tools exist for keeping an eye on what mods users are uploading to ensure blatant cheats are not allowed on the system."
If he had written that already on the Documentation Page I could have saved me even creating this whole topic.