johndoe14

Steam to now offer paid Workshop items

johndoe14

Valve has announced their new policy which allows modders to charge money for Workshop items in Steam, starting with Skyrim. The policy can be read about Please login or register to see this link. .

What do you guys think of this? I myself think the paid Workshop idea totally defeats the purpose for mods in the first place, they're supposed to be free because the person that made them did it for the community, not for profit. I think a better addition in place of this would have been some kind of 'Donate to Author' button which allows you to use Steam funds to cover the transaction.

I feel like this could be a slippery slope for other games as well.

fiendishfanatic

Valve has announced their new policy which allows modders to charge money for Workshop items in Steam, starting with Skyrim. The policy can be read about Please login or register to see this link. .

What do you guys think of this? I myself think the paid Workshop idea totally defeats the purpose for mods in the first place, they're supposed to be free because the person that made them did it for the community, not for profit. I think a better addition in place of this would have been some kind of 'Donate to Author' button which allows you to use Steam funds to cover the transaction.

I feel like this could be a slippery slope for other games as well.

​It be nice to get paid by the community for hard-work but then again it might affect how we use mod then if it start to pay mods then i be making my own mods it be like "pay to win apps" :D 

The HiVE

*Sighs*
I'd only really be repeating what Agent NSA said...

'Cept this; I'm actually somewhat 50/50 on this idea, only thing is, there's going to be the utmost whorish modders thinking their mods are "da shitz" and pissing off peeps who "buy" it because it's absolute garbage or ticks off masses of fans when all their mods go "Buy-2-Sub", or somethin' along them lines. That's the way it goes for any industry, games, novels, construction, etc. etc. Allow pay, watch the whores take the cash.
Honestly if it was (like JohnDoe said) a donate to author kind of thing, it'd be miles different. Plus, it'd be a nice incentive.

One single thing I'd love to see, how many people are using it, how many "brought" the EULA breaking mods and how many views on that item there has been (although the latter is already present, lol). Because let's face it, there's not much more trollLOL-able then seeing;
"People Paid - 3
Amount Paid - $2.31
Item Subscribed - 20,192,339
People Pirated - 20,192,336"
Especally when it's a forced to only buy item. Even more funsies.

There's also the fact that well, if companies/studios get to see how much a certain item has been paid for, there's a chance that they might actually hire that person to do freelance work for them, which is actually pretty damn awesome.

Ultimately, it's a good idea, but shocking implementation. But, this is VaLVE, so ultimately to me; "What's fuckin' new!? -_-' Seriously. 20 bucks says they get a profit out of this bullsheeeit". Don't mind there being donorable options to modders, but damn, way to break the EULA this time, VaLVE...

Plus damn, anyone else have the feeling of "Modders ARE FUCKIN' DOOOOMED!" after finding out about this? Because I sure as hell do >.> Last thing I wanted to see when I woke up, was finding out that an even giganticer mod community is going to start being ripped a new one... Although, being a fellow modder, I can say some of us will always come back, regardless of how much of a new one was ripped into the community. Just the way we can be, just like gamers, novel lovers and weather(wo)men.

"Modders ain't cheaters or 'hackers', we just altered the game to the way we wanted it to be."

• Upvote 2

johndoe14

Amazing post The HiVE, I fully agree. I just think we're going to have some serious problems if even the most basic mods that were originally just posted because the modder loved the game decides they want to make more money. So long as people cannot currently take down & repost the addons for money, I don't see any major problem with this: at the very most people who subscribed before it costed money should continue to get updates for the addon, I think that's fair.

Hopefully the amazing modding community rejects charging everything for money.

• Upvote 1

johndoe14

"Modders ARE FUCKIN' DOOOOMED!

​I agree: the moment I read the article I had a sinking feeling in my stomach.

• Upvote 2

The HiVE

Amazing post The HiVE, I fully agree. I just think we're going to have some serious problems if even the most basic mods that were originally just posted because the modder loved the game decides they want to make more money. So long as people cannot currently take down & repost the addons for money, I don't see any major problem with this: at the very most people who subscribed before it costed money should continue to get updates for the addon, I think that's fair.

​There is one flaw to that last part; the uploader could just re-upload it under slightly different stuff (for example, the mod's title), askin' for money on that and just dog the free version by never updating it.

Hopefully the amazing modding community rejects charging everything for money.

One can hope, but as long as people are willing to fork out money for almost non-existent and/or virtual things, there'll be that tiny population of people keeping such a thing alive.

PirateCaptain

not all modders care about the money, but sometimes it's a necessary evil to keep the ads away ;)

If we could run this place for free like we are now, there would never be a donor version, but sadly this is not possible so we have to beg a little to stay afloat and continue to improve on the forum and perks.

johndoe14

If we could run this place for free like we are now, there would never be a donor version, but sadly this is not possible so we have to beg a little to stay afloat and continue to improve on the forum and perks.

But here's the thing 'Cap, you don't force people who previously owned your software to pay for the upgrade. With this new system it's so easily abusable I could see anyone simply taking down their free version and offering their paid version as the "original" software.

It would be like you embedding DRM in Pirate Perfection (free)'s code - it feels wrong and people should be able to pay because they like the software, and not because they have to.

• Upvote 2

PirateCaptain

But here's the thing 'Cap, you don't force people who previously owned your software to pay for the upgrade. With this new system it's so easily abusable I could see anyone simply taking down their free version and offering their paid version as the "original" software.

It would be like you embedding DRM in Pirate Perfection (free)'s code - it feels wrong and people should be able to pay because they like the software, and not because they have to.

Guess that will just mean the rise of a new breed of modcrackers hehehe, kinda cool title

The HiVE

Guess that will just mean the rise of a new breed of modcrackers hehehe, kinda cool title

Ooooh, you mean a new breed of US.M! Wait, that came out wrong... Really wrong, wronger than the fact that they've reversed this idea and Beth's still wanting to have modders charge for their mods...

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.